Bhubaneswar: In view of the sudden spurt in cases of Covid-19 in many states, including neighbouring Chhattisgarh, the alert Odisha government on Sunday has decided to press the preventive button to keep the lethal virus at bay.
In a significant measure, the Special Relief Commissioner (SRC) on Sunday directed all district Collectors, Municipal Commissioners and Superintendent of Police (SP) to ensure strict implementation of COVID-19 safety guidelines/protocols in their jurisdictional districts or zones.
The stern SoS from the SRC comes at a time when instances of Covid-19 protocol negligence and complacent behaviour among the general public in the State have been noticed. The Covid-19 appropriate behaviours like putting on masks or maintaining ‘Do Gaz’ distance, non-use sanitizers were found amiss in the public places like markets etc.
In a letter to all district Collectors, Municipal Commissioner and SPs, the Special Relief Commissioner (SRC) said apart from detection of few cases with new variants of COVID-19 virus, there has been a spike of new cases in Maharashtra and some other States.
The SRC’s letter said, “recently in addition to detection of some cases with new variants of COVID- 19 virus, a spike in number of new covid-19 cases has been observed in Maharashtra and some other States. At this juncture, we need to be very careful and ensure strict enforcement of the COVID-19 safety protocols by all in public places including workplaces to avoid any chance of resurgence of the disease in our State.”
The office of the SRC has asked Collectors, Municipal Commissioners and other officials to take the following measures to ensure that the Covid-19 strictly followed at all levels. Here is quick look on the instructions:
1. District and Police Authorities shall check and ensure strict observance of COVID-l9 safety protocols such as mandatory wearing of mask, maintaining physical distancing in all public places including work places and educational institutions.
2- Public awareness through loudspeaker announcements is to be made frequently in all market places, haat and other places.
3. Concerned authorities of Government and private offices/ institutions including
educational institutions shall be responsible for due compliance of the COVID- 19 safety protocols in their respective establishments.
4. Large congregations must be avoided and wherever permission has been granted for marriages, other social/ religious functions, sports, entertainment/ academic/ cultural/ any other gathering/ congregations, compliance of the COVID-19 safety protocols and crowd size in such gatherings shall be strictly monitored. Under no circumstances, persons more than the number permitted shall be entertained in all such gatherings.
5. Adequate and strict sanitation measures are to be maintained in schools, colleges, other educational institutions and Anganwadi Centres. The teachers and concerned authorities shall ensure observance of “COVID-19 safety protocols such as mandatory wearing of mask, maintaining physical distancing and provision of thermal scanning & hand wash or use of sanitizer by the students, teachers, staff and others.
6. Any person found with COVID-19 symptoms must be immediately reported to
the nearest health institution and necessary further action be taken as per advice of the health authorities.
7. Nothing other than the curricular activities shall be allowed in educaticinal
8. Hotels, restaurants, dhabas and other places of public eating must be closely
monitored by the police authorities so as to ensure strict compliance of physical distancing norms and other safety protocols.
9. Senior officers of the district administration will visit different places/institutions to ascertain and ensure Covid-19 protocol compliance. Persons violating the Covid-19 guidelines may be penalised under the relevant provisions of the law.
10. Strong penal action shall be taken against the persons violating the COVID-19
Guidelines/ safety protocols. Shops and other commercial establishments found violating such norms may be sealed and action as per law be taken against such violators.